Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Incredible Food, Great Friends

Yes, the food is as good as I remember.  Last evening, after I dozed off watching TV, my friend Esther called and asked me out to dinner.  She showed me 2 good places to eat, being a Westerner, one specializes in beef and the other chicken stew-like dishes.  One is only 2 buildings down from the hotel, the other is across the street and 2 buildings down.  We had the beef rib soup, which was very good.  She showed me a few other "safe" dishes to try.  I had a wonderful time talking and laughing with her.

Today I spent a couple of hours talking with Eun Hee (now Director Seol) and reviewed 3 files typical to 3 different decades.  Time very well spent, learning a lot for my job and changes we need to make to improve our services.  Then the whole department took me out to lunch at an Italian restaurant in the mall nearby.  Actually, according to Esther, they love pizza but it's expensive in Korea, so they are very happy to take guests out for pizza.  It was very different from what I'm used to, but not bad.  I've noticed the tomato juice and pizza sauce are thinner and bit more "red".  Not sure how to explain it, it could be that they are less processed than your typical V-8.

In the afternoon we visited an orphanage here in Seoul which has been open for a very long time.  I thought I was just to see the outside, take pictures, wander around it.  Instead, Molly Holt came with Esther, Seol Hee, and I to the orphanage where we met with the current director, and the past director.  He told stories and talked about the orphanage's history; he'd been director since 1962.  The building was completely rebuilt, from the ground up, just a few years ago.  I took a few pictures of the outside, then several with Molly and the director.  They were old friends, he called her his older sister because she's a month older than he is - 78.  I wish I had half his energy now!

We didn't have time to see the old baby hospital, so they dropped me at the hotel asking if I wanted to have dinner with Esther and Seol Hee.  They went back to work while I wrote up my notes.  I met them downstairs after they got off work and we walked to a very close restaurant.  I wish I could remember the name of the chicken dish because it was amazing!  It came in a big dish with a variety of side dishes.  It was rich, full of potatoes, carrots, and delicious onions; and a lot of chicken.  Koreans like their meat, so I'm very happy.  It's Seol Hee's favorite dish.

After dinner they took me to a park on the other side of the river where we walked around under the blooming cherry trees.  Seol Hee loves my camera and had a blast taking night photos.  They are also big on taking photos of each other, which you all know I hate having my picture taken.  But they were so much fun that I couldn't help but join it.  It was a lovely evening.  We headed back to the hotel where they showed me the nearest convenience store and taught me how to ask for a receipt.  Taxi's and some stores don't always give it to you automatically.

I was so touched by their concern and friendship.  I'm still worried that I'm imposing, I know they all work very hard, but really appreciated their help.  Eun Hee wants to take me to the national museum on Sunday with her son, who is now almost 8 (American age) and growing so fast!  It'll be nice to hang out with her and her son.  Apparently he's learning English in school but doesn't think he speaks it very well.

I found out tonight that Dr. Cho, who was Holt's pediatrician for decades and is now retired and living at Ilsan, wants to take me to see the baby home personally.  Dr. Cho is 82, sharp as a tack, has far more energy than I, and remembers nearly every child she ever cared for through Holt.  She's amazing, I am honored beyond words for this opportunity.  She remembers everything about the work at the baby home.  The building is now a children's library, but the photos I'll get and the history she'll relay will be invaluable.  If I'm still on my feet after that, I hope to take the night bus tour of Seoul and it's historic bridges.

I have a feeling that taking extra days off after my return home was probably a very smart move!

No comments: